This is the talk page for discussing the page, Xiangke Magician.
Please try to
I put the "相克" ("Sōkoku") kanji into a translator, and the translator says it means "conflict", as in "conflict between things". Does that mean this card is actually "Conflict Magician", not "Destruction Magician"? --Taylor Gorrell (talk • contribs) 05:27, March 26, 2015 (UTC)
- Online translators are known to be notoriously unreliable, especially with a complex script like kanji. Like many names in Yu-Gi-Oh!, there is likely a pun involved in the Japanese names of Creation Magician and Destruction Magician, hence why those names have been chosen as appropriate by The Org.--YamiWheeler (talk • contribs) 05:49, March 26, 2015 (UTC)
- Should go without saying, but a translator isn't exactly a reliable source. Human made translations >>>> Machine Translators, every time. As a wiki we naturally want to use the most reliable source.
- besides there is more then 1 person that translates things, if "Destruction" was incorrect SOMEONE would have noticed and pointed it out a long while ago.
- Also, while I know little to nothing about Japanese language but i am pretty sure you need more then just the Kanji to translate something properly. Just throwing the Kanji alone into a translator is asking for mistakes.
- DreadKaiser (talk • contribs) 05:52, March 26, 2015 (UTC)
- Though it I may note, it seems like there's a number of ways to say "Destruction" in Japanese: this, and both of the variations used for "Burst Stream of Destruction" and "Photon Stream of Destruction." I'd definitely agree with Yami's two cents on the situation. Sanokal K-T (talk • contribs) 05:59, March 26, 2015 (UTC)
- Yes, but 破滅 (hametsu) and 滅び (horobi) both do more or less translate to "destruction," to be fair. The 相克 (sōkoku) in Destruction Magician's Japanese name doesn't appear to translate to Destruction at all, but the 相生 (sōjō) in Creation Magician's name does include the character for giving life (生). There are also various references to working together, and rivalry in this kanji (相), which is why I'm presuming there's some complex wordplay involved. It's also well known that there's more to card names than direct translations, especially into English. The point is to retain as much of the original spirit of the name as possible, in my opinion. It doesn't always turn out to be the most direct translation because of this.--YamiWheeler (talk • contribs) 06:11, March 26, 2015 (UTC).
- The Org has not actually chosen names for this and "Creation Magician" yet. Its very complicated (if you look back on the spoilers, you'll see the card names are actually still in romaji). "Creation" and "Destruction" are being used as placeholders for now (they may or may not also end up being the Org names, again, its complicated. They aren't wrong, but there may be options that are "more right". Cheesedude (talk • contribs) 09:18, March 26, 2015 (UTC)