This is the talk page for discussing the page, Slifer the Sky Dragon (manga).
Please try to
Short response: How about we call that an Alignment or Attribute instead of Type?
The manga's been pretty vague as to how monsters are classified and the English manga does not always translate classifications accurately. Here's how I've been interpreting it:
- I've been using Alignment for the following, since that's what they're called in some video games:
- The the four Magic Users mentioned in Yugi and Pegasus' first Duel: Black Magic, White Magic, Illusion Magic (Illusionists) and Demon Magic (Demons and Devils).
- The elements mentioned in Yugi and Pegasus' first Duel and the explanation of the Duelist Kingdom terrains: Fire, Water, Wood (Forest), Earth and Lightning (Thunder).
- I've been using Type for Insect, Dinosaur, Undead (Zombie), Dragon and a few others. Sometimes the word "Type", using the same kanji as the OCG is used for these and sometimes no word is used. Dragon is called Doragon (ドラゴン) for "Dragon Capture Jar" and "Buster Blader", but Ryu (竜) for "Dragon Nails".
- I've been using Attribute for Light, mentioned in "Shine Palace", and Dark, mentioned in "Dark Energy", "Crush Card", "Negative Energy" and "Dragon Nails". All of these use the same kanji for Attribute, as the OCG, "属性", except "Dragon Nails", which doesn't use anything. It might be worth merging these and Alignments, since Fire and Forest have also used "属性" in "Salamandra" and "Deep Forest". This might cause some overlap though, since "Red-Eyes Black Dragon" is Fire, as mentioned in Jonouchi and Kaiba's first Duel, and Dark, assuming it's the same as "Red-Eyes Black Metal Dragon". Any reason a card can't have two?
"God" was mentioned as a Type in Yu-Gi-Oh! R for the effect of "Gaap the Divine Soldier" and probably other instances. The lore uses the kanji "属" (zoku), which despite having the same pronunciation is different than "Type" in the OCG/TCG, which uses "族". "属" is however half the kanji for Attribute.
We could treat God as an Alignment, since God (Divine) is an Alignment in the video games, or an Attribute, since that's what it is in the OCG/TCG.