The tablet is first introduced in the Yu-Gi-Oh! series during the Battle City arc, when Ishizu Ishtar brings it to the Domino City museum. It is observed by Seto Kaiba as Ishizu explains the ancient battle between his and Yugi's past lives. It is later seen by Yami Yugi accompanied by Téa where Ishizu appears and explains that if Yami is to regain his memories he must obtain the three Egyptian Gods as well as the seven Millennium items and bring them to the tablet.
In the anime, after Yugi obtained them after winning the Battle City championship, Dartz froze the tablet in crystal and drained the power from the God cards, eventually taking them to prevent the Pharaoh from going into the past, as Dartz needed him to revive the Great Leviathan. When Dartz was defeated the tablet was brought back to Egypt.
Figures on the tablet
The Tablet of Lost Memories depicts a scene from the ancient past of Pharaoh Atem. Among other things, it features:
- On the left side, Priest Seto; on the right side, Pharaoh Atem. They seem to be involved in an ancient Duel, as seen in a vision by Ishizu. However, presumably because of the Dark RPG, the battle was slightly changed during the Pharaoh's Memories arc.
- Above the two Duelists left to right, figures representing "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" and "Dark Magician".
- Above that, the Millennium Puzzle surrounded by the 3 Egyptian Gods: Obelisk, Slifer, and Ra.
- On Seto's left, figures representing "Monster Reborn" (Japanese version) and "Battle Ox". On the Pharaoh's right, "Swords of Revealing Light" and "Gaia The Fierce Knight".
- At the very bottom of the Tablet, a Cartouche with Pharaoh Atem's name. The name "Atem" has been scratched off. How this happened is unknown, but it is likely Priest Seto ordered Atem's name destroyed.