|Spell & Trap Zone|
|Japanese (base text)||
Mahō & Torappu Zōn
Magic & Trap Zone
Spell & Trap Zone
Spell & Trap Zones (
If all Spell & Trap Zones are occupied or rendered unusable, new Spell/Trap Cards (other than Field Spell Cards) cannot be activated or Set, as there must be a usable vacant Spell & Trap Zone to place the card in (before the activation). Cards cannot be moved between Spell & Trap Zones.
A Trap Monster requires both a Spell & Trap Zone and a Monster Zone, due to the fact that it is simultaneously treated as both a Trap Card and a Monster Card. However, it is placed in the Monster Zone, and despite the Spell & Trap Zone being unusable, it is not considered occupied (for the purposes of cards such as "Straight Flush" and "D/D/D Dragonbane King Beowulf").
If a Trap Monster is flipped face-down ("Book of Moon" or "Cyber Shadow Gardna", etc.) or has its Trap effect negated ("Jinzo", etc.), it returns to that associated Spell & Trap Zone as a Trap Card.
The leftmost and rightmost Spell & Trap Zones are also used as Pendulum Zones. These Zones are treated as Pendulum Zones only while there is a Pendulum Monster in that zone (but are not treated as Pendulum Zones if the Pendulum Monster is in that zone as an Equip Spell Card). If there is a Pendulum Monster in the zone, it is treated as both a Spell & Trap Zone and a Pendulum Zone. If one of these Zones has a Pendulum Monster in it while the other does not, only the zone with a Pendulum Monster in it is treated as a Pendulum Zone.
Prior to the release of Starter Deck 2017 in the OCG and Starter Deck: Link Strike in the TCG, the Pendulum Zones were distinct zones in which only Pendulum Monsters could be placed. These zones were not treated as Spell & Trap Zones, and Pendulum Monsters could not be placed in the Spell & Trap Zones.
- "Traditional Chinese version of Master Rule 2 version 1.0". Konami. http://www.yugioh-card.com/hk/howto/beginner.php?lang=cn-t.
- "Master Rule 3 Overview". Konami. http://www.yugioh-card.com/hk/howto/master_rule_3.php?lang=cn-t.
- Miller, Scott (July 11, 2012). "Trap Monsters: How Do They Work?". Konami. https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=4062. Retrieved December 17, 2015.
- "Individual Card Rulings [S-T]". UDE. Straight Flush. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. http://web.archive.org/20090226221425/http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/yugioh/en/gameplay/faqs/cardfaqs/default.aspx?first=S&last=T. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "Individual Card Rulings [D-E]". UDE. Embodiment of Apophis. Archived from the original on 18 February 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090218205242/http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/yugioh/en/gameplay/faqs/cardfaqs/default.aspx?first=D&last=E. Retrieved 26 January 2016.