"Predaplant", known as "Predator Plants" (
The monsters are largely based on carnivorous plants, carrion flowers, and/or plants with peculiar characteristics. Appearance wise, some "Predaplant" monsters have leaf-like mouth parts with vine-like appendages resemble hands with thorns for claws and teeth; the others have plant and animal characteristics which varies between insects, dinosaurs, reptiles, and even mythological creatures. Some Predaplant Monsters, however, don't seem to follow this trend: "Cordyceps" is based on the parasitic fungus with the same name, "Ophrys Scorpio" is based on a remarkable orchid whose flowers mimic female bees to such a degree that amorous males are fooled into mating with the flowers, "Banksiogre" is based on the peculiar seed pod of a wildflower endemic to Australia, "Spider Orchid" is based on moon orchids, "Verte Anaconda" is based on a sprawling berry nightshade herb.
Most of the names of each monster is a hybridization of an animal and a plant. One of the words used is typically the Latin taxonomic name. Several of the Level 5 and higher monsters are named after mythical creatures (chimera, dragon, hydra) and most revealed Fusion Monsters are named after carrion flowers instead of carnivorous plants.
"Predaplant" focus largely on an aggressive Fusion Summon for huge damage and destruction, while using Predator Counters on the opposing monsters, making them Level 1 Monsters to hinder opposing Ritual, Synchro and Xyz Summons or other Level-based Play and punishes opponents for having them. "Predaplanet" punishes the opponent for losing a monster with Predator Counters by letting a player add a "Predap" card to their hands.
"Predaplant Chlamydosundew" is simply an extra "Polymerization" or "Super Polymerization" when on the Field; in that it can also use an opposing Monster with a Predator Counter on it as a DARK Fusion Material, making the Fusion Summon of "Starving Venom Fusion Dragon" and "Predaplant Chimerafflesia" easier, as well as potentially getting rid of an opponent's problematic monster.
"Lonefire Blossom" can Special Summon another copy of itself and be used in combination with "Miracle Fertilizer" (Does not matter if the effect is only used once) to setup the Graveyard for effects like "Soul Charge" to swarm the field.
"Predaplants" have a useful engine in the form of "Predaplant Ophrys Scorpio" and "Predaplant Darlingtonia Cobra"; "Ophrys Scorpio" can Special Summon "Darlingtonia Cobra" directly from the Deck, triggering the effect of the latter to search a "Polymerization" or "Fusion" Spell Card. The combo can only be used once per Duel, but is very potent; setting up either a Fusion Summon, or a Rank 3 Xyz Summon and a Fusion Summon from cards like "Brilliant Fusion" and "Instant Fusion". "Ophrys Scorpio", has a discard cost to activate its effect though, but you can use "Glow-Up Bulb", as fodder material since it can special summon itself from the Graveyard and as a Tuner gives the option to perform Synchro Summons.
As per the New Master Rule, the deck loses its fast Fusion Summon power, causing them to slow down. However, the "Predaplant" Fusion Monsters are relatively strong on their own.
- This archetype relies on Special Summoning, so cards like "Vanity's Emptiness" will slow the archetype down.
- Several "Predaplant" cards are reliant on Predator Counters for their effects. Cards such as "Counter Cleaner" or using the affected monsters as Materials/Tribute will effectively clean them off.
- Predator Counters do not have much effect on Xyz Monsters and Link Monsters, as they do not have Levels, but they do hinder Xyz Summons by changing the levels of the potential Xyz Materials, except for a Rank 1 Monster.
- Regardless, Predator Counters can still be used on Xyz or Link Monsters for effects such as "Predaplanet" and "Predaplant Chlamydosundew".
- Though Predator Counters may offer advantages for some "Predaplant" monsters, they hinder "Starving Venom Fusion Dragon" effect stealing ability as it can only copy a level 5 or higher monster. But this can be bypass with "Uni-Song Tuning", by banishing a high level Tuner monster (such as ideally "Predaplant Banksiogre") you can alter a desired monster level for "Starving Venom" effect stealing.