"Gladiator Beast", known as "Gladial Beast" (
The archetype resemble futuristic versions of the ancient Roman Colosseum slave-warriors.
The archetype's name comes from "Gladiator", a man trained to fight with weapons against other men or wild animals in an arena.
Each monster is primarily named after types of gladiators that fought in the Roman Colosseum, while others are named after famous fighters from the Roman Empire.
|Gladiator Beast||Origin||Unique effect|
|Alexander||Alexander the Great||Winged lion||Unaffected by Spell effects.|
|Andabata||Andabata||Hadrosaurid||Special Summons 1 Level 7 or lower “Gladiator Beast” Fusion monster from your Extra Deck, ignoring its Summoning conditions. Special Summons 2 "Gladiator Beast" monsters from your Deck.|
|Atrix||Sends 1 "Gladiator Beast" monster from your Deck or Extra Deck to the Graveyard, this card's Level and name become the sent monster' until the End Phase.|
|Augustus||Augustus Caesar||Dragon||Special Summons 1 "Gladiator Beast" monster from your hand in Defense Position.|
|Bestiari||Bestiarii||Red-crowned amazon||Destroys 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field.|
|Darius||Darius the Great||Horse||Special Summons 1 "Gladiator Beast" monster from your Graveyard.|
|Dimacari||Dimachaerus||Cape buffalo||Attacks twice during the Battle Phase.|
|Dragases||Constantine Dragases Palaiologos||Bald Eagle||Protects your attacking “Gladiator Beast” monster(s) from being destroyed by battle and prevents your opponent from activating cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. Special Summons 2 "Gladiator Beast" monsters with different names from your Deck.|
|Equeste||Equites||Winged Centaur||Adds 1 "Gladiator Beast" card from your Graveyard to your hand.|
|Gaiodiaz||Gordias||Tyrannosaurus||Inflicts damage to your opponent whenever it destroys an opponent’s monster by battle, equal to the DEF of the destroyed monster. Special Summons 2 "Gladiator Beast" monsters from your Deck, except "Gladiator Beast Spartacus".|
|Gyzarus||Gaius Julius Caesar||Unknown bird||Destroys up to 2 cards on the field whenever it's Special Summoned. Special Summons 2 "Gladiator Beast" monsters from your Deck, except "Gladiator Beast Bestiari".|
|Heraklinos||Heracles||Chimera||Negates the activation of a Spell/Trap Card and destroys that card, by discarding 1 card (Quick Effect).|
|Hoplomus||Hoplomachus||Rhino||DEF becomes 2400.|
|Lanista||Lanista||Eagle||Gains the name of 1 "Gladiator Beast" monster that was banished from your Graveyard.|
|Laquari||Laquearius||Tiger||ATK becomes 2100.|
|Murmillo||Murmillo||Carp||Destroys 1 face-up monster on the field.|
|Nerokius||Nero||Bat||Cannot be destroyed by battle and when this card battles, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. Special Summons 2 "Gladiator Beast" monsters from your Deck.|
|Noxius||Noxii||Leopard||Special Summons itself from your hand when your opponent declares a direct attack and redirects the attack to itself then proceeds to damage calculation; also, it cannot be destroyed by that battle. Sends 1 Gladiator Beast monster from your Deck to the Graveyard.|
|Octavius||Gaius Octavius||Bald eagle||Destroys 1 face-down Spell/Trap Card on the field.|
|Retiari||Retiarius||Crocodile||Banishes 1 card from your opponent's Graveyard.|
|Samnite||Samnite||Smilodon||Adds 1 “Gladiator Beast” card from your Deck to your hand whenever it destroys an opponent’s monster by battle.|
|Secutor||Secutor||Lizard||Special Summons 2 "Gladiator Beast" monsters from your Deck, except itself.|
|Spartacus||Spartacus||Dinosaur||Adds 1 "Gladiator Beast" Equip Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.|
|Tamer Editor||Taming/Editor||Deer||Special Summons 1 “Gladiator Beast” Fusion monster from your Extra Deck, except itself, ignoring its Summoning conditions. Special Summons 1 “Gladiator Beast” monster from your Deck, by shuffling 1 “Gladiator Beast” monster that battled into your Deck or Extra Deck.|
|Torax||Thraex||Blowfish||Allows you to draw 1 card by shuffling itself into your Deck.|
|Tygerius||Tiberius||White tiger||Adds 1 “Gladiator Beast” monster from your Deck to your hand by discarding 1 “Gladiator Beast” card.|
|Vespasiaus||All monsters you control gain 500 ATK.|
With a few exceptions, all non-Fusion "Gladiator Beasts" have an effect to return to the Deck during the end of a Battle Phase when it battled, and then to Special Summon another "Gladiator Beast" monster to replace it (this is also known as 'tagging out'). The newly Special Summoned "Gladiator Beast" monsters usually gain another effect when Special Summoned in this way.
"Gladiator Beasts" also have seven Fusion Monsters, four of which require a specific "Gladiator Beast" monster and either one or two other "Gladiator Beast" monsters as Fusion Material. However, "Polymerization" is not required to Fusion Summon these monsters. Instead, the correct "Gladiator Beast" Fusion Material Monsters are returned to the Main Deck to Special Summon the appropriate "Gladiator Beast" Fusion Monster. This process is otherwise known as Contact Fusion. Several of the "Gladiator Beast" Fusion Monsters are also able to 'tag out' to Special Summon 2 or more "Gladiator Beast" monsters from the Deck.
Nearly every card in the archetype is capable of being returned to the hand, field, or Deck from the Graveyard by utilizing the effects of "Gladiator Beast" monsters or their support cards. The "Gladiator Beast" Deck includes a mix of destruction, aggro, and toolbox cards and tactics. It is this versatility which landed this Deck as one of the top Decks in the Shonen Jump Circuit.
The September 2010 Forbidden List caused "Gladiators Beasts" to become more popular, especially with the banning of "Heavy Storm" and Limiting of "Royal Oppression", both of which were a threat to their strategy.
The April 2015 Forbidden List made the previously Limited "Gladiator Beast Bestiari" Unlimited, making the entire deck not as susceptible to having a "Bottomless Trap Hole" or other card that banishes monsters used on "Bestiari", which would render "Gladiator Beast Gyzarus" inaccessible for the remainder of the Duel.
Previous incarnations of the Deck used "Rescue Cat" to Summon monsters such as "Gladiator Beast Samnite" and "Test Tiger" to make big plays. With the Errata of "Rescue Cat", however, the Deck changed its strategy. With the release of "Rescue Rabbit", the new version of the Deck uses "Gladiator Beast Andal" to allow for the quick Summon of "Gladiator Beast Essedarii", "Gladiator Beast Heraklinos", "Gladiator Beast Nerokius" or "Gladiator Beast Dragases".
- Elemental HERO Prisma
- Gladiator Beast Augustus
- Gladiator Beast Vespasiaus
- Gladiator Beast Bestiari
- Gladiator Beast Darius
- Gladiator Beast Equeste
- Gladiator Beast Laquari
- Gladiator Beast Sagittari
- Gladiator Beast Murmillo
- Gladiator Beast Noxious
- Gladiator Beast Retiari
- Gladiator Beast Samnite
- Gladiator Beast Secutor
- Rescue Cat
- Rescue Rabbit
- Test Tiger
- Thunder King Rai-Oh
- Gladiator Beast Andabata
- Gladiator Beast Essedarii
- Gladiator Beast Heraklinos
- Gladiator Beast Gyzarus
- Gladiator Beast Nerokius
- Gladiator Beast Tamer Editor
- Gladiator Beast Domitianus
- A Hero Lives (When using Prisma)
- Gladiator Proving Ground
- Book of Moon
- Fire Formation - Tenki
- Fire Formation - Tensu
- My Body as a Shield
- Onslaught of the Fire Kings (For GB Laquari)
- Unexpected Dai
- Gladiator Beast Comeback
- United Gladiator Beasts
- Gladiator Rejection
Weaknesses and counter-strategies
- Prevention of Special Summoning - As "Gladiator Beast" Decks focus heavily on Special Summoning, they become crippled by cards that prevent it. "Solemn Warning", "Archlord Kristya" and "Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo" are all common Main Deck and Side Deck cards that prevent Special Summoning, or neutralize it. In the case of "Kristya", the Deck finds it hard to get over a monster with 2800 ATK without Contact Fusion, as long as it is protected from the high Trap Card count with cards like "Forbidden Lance". Other options include "Vanity's Fiend", "Vanity's Ruler", "Deck Lockdown", "Corridor of Agony" and "Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring".
- Counter-destruction - Often, it is the "Gladiator Beasts" with the effect to destroy cards that are the most troublesome, but there are several cards that can be used to combat this. "Starlight Road" is a common card that is particularly effective against "Gladiator Beast Gyzarus". Other options include "Divine Wrath", "Destruction Jammer", and "Stardust Dragon".
- Destroy on Summoning - Cards such as "Torrential Tribute", "Bottomless Trap Hole" and especially "Mirror of Oaths", that destroy the monsters when Special Summoned are great against "Gladiator Beasts".
- Effect canceling - Cards such as "Skill Drain", "Chivalry" or "Effect Veiler" can prevent your monsters from tagging out or negate the effects of the ones that are Summoned, leaving them defenseless against high ATK monsters. "Clear Wing Synchro Dragon" and "Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon" are also very effective, as they can negate the effects of the Gladiator Beasts upon summon or when they 'tag out', leaving them often helpless.
- Attack negation/prevention - You can only 'tag out' a "Gladiator Beast" when it "attacks or is attacked", therefore, any Spell, Trap, or Monster Effect that lets you negate a monster attack would prevent the opponent from tagging out their "Gladiator Beasts".