|Forums:||Index → General Yu-Gi-Oh! Discussion → 4Kids!|
|Please sign your comments with ~~~~. See Help:Signature and Help:Talk pages for further information.|
|This forum thread has been unedited for 3507 days and is considered archived. Please don't add to the discussion, unless absolutely necessary.|
As you sub watchers have known, 4Kids! will slaughter most of the animes they dub. But I'm glad they didn't slaughter 5D's, yet anyways. But just a question, what did you guys think of the dub and what do you expect in the future?
I thought the voices were okay ( seems people overeacted a bit ) but Yusei talked way way way to much. As for the future, they will do what they did to GX and the original Yugioh to this show, take out character development and alter the character ( Kaiba ). KapedStikman 03:29, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
- Well, I think they made Yusei talk way too much and they kinda gave him and Ushio a back-story...but they turned Jack into a total d**che... Bluedog 01:21, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
- I watched the Dub. I think it's what GX should've been. GX alienated the older fanbase by not taking itself seriously; I would say that this is a source of optimism, but I have been shown to be wrong when it comes to impressions from first episodes where 4Kids is concerned. Take Sonic X, the first episode was excellent, it had a dark-ish plot, and a reasonably serious storyline. The rest of Sonic X detracted from this completely, and was filled with comic relief and very little story of substance. I'll play 5D's by ear and see what happens.
- Interesting fact: Sonic X and Yu-Gi-Oh! share many voice actors.--TwoTailedFox (My Talk Page) 01:28, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
Yusei lost his calm monotone. And Jack's voice... <_< A few wording problems, like the confusion of removal from play, but I suppose that's starting from the Japanese version's "release". It's also interesting that they throw in a few scenes to attempt to explain the monster and card effects. Anyway, I think I'll keep watching and see how much it will twist the series to keep it "kid-safe". I'd like to see how they'll handle the jail episodes, and Aki's backstory.--Gadjiltron 04:10, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
- They will call the jail a detention center ( probably ) and the shocking will be a fake "Shadow Game" ( like that archfiend guy from GX ). Aki will probably be the same, shadow game or psychic. But that is just my guess. I will stop watching if they try to link every single character together ( as in make them know all of each other when orginally they don't, ie: Ushio and Yusei ). KapedStikman 18:41, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
- Yusei talked too much and the two things that killed it for me was calling Ushio "Trudge" and people calling Yusei "Yuse"
Yeah, the whole Ushio and Yusei backstory seemed to be completely worthless, it was just another 4Kids! worthless line changing. The first episode made a good impression but 4Kids! always tries to make a good impression on the first episode or before the first episode is released ( flashback of one peice ) to lure in Anime fans but things always go downhill.
Question: Does 4Kids! Dinosaur King and 4Kids! Pokemon share the same voice actors ( the story is so simular and the voices are too... )?
KapedStikman 03:31, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
My first impressions say that it's inferior to the original product, certainly, but better than it could have been, too. The bits where they cut out the characters explaining how their cards work just to have a computer tell us breaks up the action needlessly, and Yusei just doesn't seem quite as smoldering or awesome when he's quite so wordy--that said, I was imagining something awful, like, if you've seen it, "Casey & Friends," and it wasn't that, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, for now. (I also miss the original music, which was better than what they're using...) Speedball 02:27, 16 September 2008 (UTC)
to answer your question about dino king and pokemon yes the original voice of ash went to dino king which is what i think killed pokemon tooFreezydragon 00:05, 22 September 2008 (UTC)
Now that episode 2 has come out, what are your opinions? Roge23 03:55, 21 September 2008 (UTC)
- First off, thanks for keepin this alive and doing that for me. Second, it was still okay Yusei talked to much but the thing I noticed was how crappy the voice acting was, it sounded like they had no emotions... KapedStikman 04:00, 21 September 2008 (UTC)
I noticed the dub version makes card names sound more complicated than they should be (ex. Retribution of the Ant Lion instead of Ant Lion's Retribution) and you're welcome. Roge23 01:55, 22 September 2008 (UTC)
So... much... added monologue... Having looked through some of the original (subbed) episodes, the following quote sums it all up:
- "You talk too much!" -Yusei, episode 4
--Gadjiltron 05:55, 1 October 2008 (UTC)
I thought about something......
What is 4kids going to do about the bong in episode 11? Roge23 18:34, 23 September 2008 (UTC)
Holy shit there was a bong? TehBazzard 23:36, 28 December 2008 (UTC)
They'll do the same thing they did to the guns in the original anime, make them invisible. "Put your hands up or we'll shoot you with our invisible guns!" Shoukatsuryou 08:25, 11 March 2009 (UTC)
I wish that 4kids would just sell the rights to Cartoon Network as I'm fairly sure that they could show it uncut.Who else thinks so? Monarch1 17:47, 26 September 2008 (UTC) yea im sure they would make it uncut since they show other animes as well, but im my opinion tv isnt what it used to be, now so many things are so goody goody and safeFreezydragon 20:18, 26 September 2008 (UTC)
- If you're here to b**** about it, Yusei also said "Nitro Warrior" gets its extra 1000 ATK, if a "Speed Spell" is activated, rather than simply a Spell Card. But other notable changes are rather than "Turbo Booster" being Rally's favourite card, it was a card that beonged to her father. Since Jack had Rally set up into finding the chip, in the dub, they had it programmed so Trudge was able to force Yusei's Duel Runner into the Turbo Duel, whereas in the Japanese the D-Wheel (Duel Runner) was set to accept a Turbo Duel anyway, once Speed World is activated on the other player's. There were a couple of changes in Trudge and Yusei's dialogue. Some stuff about the academy. The character Hanson was also named. I don't think he was named in the Japanese. Meh, not sayin' its better or majorly worse tan the Japanese, but they're some of the differences. -- Deltaneos (talk) 11:11, 28 September 2008 (UTC)
The best thing in that episode was explaining why Turbo Booster was important to Rally (which is a he btw) something that was left untouched in the Japanese version Roge23 19:21, 28 September 2008 (UTC)
Hey, if you focus a bit on Yusei's SPC count, it blips to SPC for a moment before switching back to its arrow. --Gadjiltron 05:12, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
Inconsistency coming up!
If you guys have seen episode 4 Yusei says that he saved Jack from going to the detention center and Jack says that he planned it to steal Stardust Dragon. But isn't that going to cause confusion when episode 25 comes up (which explains when Jack stole Stardust and the D-wheel)? Roge23 18:12, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
- Can't make a call on that. I'd need to see to English episode 4 first. But since you have seen it, can you tell us if they changed Jeager, Akutsu or Mikage's names? I doubt they changed Jeager's gender, but some people were wondering if they would. -- Deltaneos (talk) 18:18, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
- Not sure about Jaeger's name but they kept his gender and got rid of his laugh. I'm also not sure about Akutsu because they only referred to him as Professor, although they got rid of the mooooooooooomentum thing he says. Mikage is called Mina and they cut the strangling scene. Roge23 23:21, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
- So I see. Jeager is Lazar now. Regarding Momentum, they had their heart in the right place in the dub. Calling energy momentum, does kinda contradict physics. Goodwin also gets annoyed with Akutsu, you'll also notice, while I can't think of any time he's ever lost his temper in the Japanese. Jack doesn't say "King this, King that", but he jokes too much. Yusei gets ticked with Jack, which he doesn't so much in the Japanese. -- Deltaneos (talk) 23:30, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
Damn it! I was glad to see they kept the km/h guages, then Jack comes along and says 200 miles per hour. It's official this is the worst dub ever. (I may be overreacting) -- Deltaneos (talk) 23:40, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
- No, you're not overreacting, the 5D's dub is slowly becoming GX again. Roge23 00:30, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, I was, I made that comment solely because they didn't use the metric system. Apart from that I like the 5D's dub. I've never seen the Japanese GX anime (apart from the Jaden v Yugi Duel), but I assume the reason the GX dub is bad, is because GX is just outright bad. -- Deltaneos (talk) 00:38, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
Probably the only bad thing so far is Jack's voice Roge23 00:52, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- His voice doesn't fit at all. Jack has a much more dignified voice in the sub...Bakura's voice just doesn't work for him. Also the changes to the story are pretty stupid IMO. Why would you change a perfectly good story? As somebody mentioned earlier, there will be huge inconsistencies later unless they change that stuff too. -- Sub 03:58, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
This just screams "Try get out of this one, 4Kids!" They've done bad enough by adding too much monologue, giving Jack a horrible voice, giving Yusei a fear of bugs, replacing the MOOOOOmentum with forced WHOAAAAs, but now they're messing up the story too? They've appeared to have cornered themselves. --Gadjiltron 04:27, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- I wonder most of all how they're going to handle the fact that one of the characters has his own SEVERED ARM in a tank. Speedball 00:30, 10 October 2008 (UTC)
I think 4Kids! is trying to rush this too much --Roge23 22:17, 6 October 2008 (UTC)
This topic grew bigger then I thought it would... ANYWAYS, there are so many things wrong with the show. There hasn't been one episode that hasn't had a useless monologue or a random line put there for the heck of it... —This unsigned comment was made by KapedStikman (talk • contribs) 09:12, 10 October 2008 (UTC)
- It's called lull destruction. Very common in dubbed anime, following the thought that silence for over 5 seconds would bore the audience. (seriously, that is SO false) So to make up for the silence they add in monologue and forced jokes. The result is the complete destruction of the atmosphere. --Gadjiltron 11:11, 10 October 2008 (UTC)
I saw episode 5, Jack is a bigger a-hole in the dub than the original and they kept making more backstories about being in a schoolyard. Roge23 18:38, 11 October 2008 (UTC)
I'm a little late, aren't I? But episode 6, the lines of the day were probably Yusei's "Is that supposed to tickle?" line, and of course Himuro becoming Tanner. Episode 7, I'll just say Jack was... different(is screaming at 4kids). And episode 8, the whole torture scene is gone. And replaced by another computer. These computers are really getting on my nerves... Yu-Gi-Oh Rules! 03:21, 2 November 2008 (UTC)
They're getting close to the jail duel. Let's see how 4kids will run from there. --Gadjiltron 15:02, 2 November 2008 (UTC)
I hope the jail duel has a less drastic change than the criminal marker did. I mean, lazer beam to dye? Sheesh. 188.8.131.52 02:34, 4 November 2008 (UTC)
I'm so waiting for the jail duel Roge23 05:07, 4 November 2008 (UTC)
Then what will happen in Part 2?
If it's not going all too well so far, what do you think will happen in part 2 with the Dark Signers and all? I just hope and pray that they won't butcher the names. o_o That would kill the moment(s). DinoQueen13 18:04, 8 November 2008 (UTC)
- They already butchered Aoyama's name. And killed the whole deathmatch. Hope is a good term to use right now. 184.108.40.206 18:10, 8 November 2008 (UTC)
- What's so bad about the name "Alex"? -- Deltaneos (talk) 22:08, 8 November 2008 (UTC)
- The fact that "Alex" isn't even close to "Aoyama." But I wouldn't call it butchered, just majorly changed. Yu-Gi-Oh Rules! 18:03, 9 November 2008 (UTC)
- What's so bad about the name "Alex"? -- Deltaneos (talk) 22:08, 8 November 2008 (UTC)
Who's Still Watching and Why?
Seriously who is still watching the dub? I stopped after episode 4 cus after that I knew it was gonna go downhill. —This unsigned comment was made by KapedStikman (talk • contribs) 01:55, 29 November 2008 (UTC)
- I do sometimes on YouTube, but the only real reason is because I don't have the channel for the dub. Dmaster (Contribs • Count) 02:14, 29 November 2008 (UTC)
- I stopped watching after the second episode. I didn't like the way the characters were changed. Bluedog 02:32, 29 November 2008 (UTC)
- Stopped watching 10' in the 1st episode - after watching the subbed version, the dubbed one was just too bad for me. --Darth Covah 07:41, 29 November 2008 (UTC)
- I've fallen a couple of episodes behind. I plan catching up, when I get the time. As for why I'm still watching: Because I want to watch it (C'mon It's not that bad) and so I can document the differences between both adaptions on this site. -- Deltaneos (talk) 15:57, 29 November 2008 (UTC)
- I also keep watch of the edits and cuts they made. Also, to see how they'll cover up for some of the card art modifications. It's interesting to see what they will do to cover up for Chakkan spitting fire (he's a lighter, after all) whilst Datatron is supposedly a USB Flash Drive. A USB drive that spits fire? You'll never know. --Gadjiltron 06:01, 30 November 2008 (UTC)
- Oh wow. They didn't do a THING to Datatron. USB Flash Drive with CANNON that SPITS FIRE. LOL. --Gadjiltron 09:47, 2 January 2009 (UTC)
Okay joke. I would've liked it more if they said it was his kid but whatever. KapedStikman
First off, how will 4Kids! censor Kiryu's backstory...
Second off, $100 bet that Kiryu's name will be Kurt...
- Um, I dunno, they'll add lots of bunnies and rainbows and have him put in time-out for not using a doily at a tea party... How do you think they'll censor it? Obviously they'll just leave out the murder, replace it with something like an attack. Have him disappear, rather than be (believed) dead. Unless they have to make a drastic change to Carly's death and make his somewhat similar. -- Deltaneos (talk) 12:18, 15 December 2008 (UTC)
What The He...
Seriously? What happened to Aki and that one Knight dudes voice. It's way way way way way way way way way way way way way way off. And don't even get me started with how they talk. 5D's is officially the worst dubbed anime now. GX second. Mr.Egotistic 08:29, 28 December 2008 (UTC)
Actually , the worst dub goes to.....
THE 4KIDS DUB OF ONE PIECE! Angryjon 16:49, 28 December 2008 (UTC)
- I forgot about One Peice. That is the worst dubb ever... Marines carrying toy guns... Mr.Egotistic 07:43, 29 December 2008 (UTC)
4Kids Sucks, Period.
Okay seriously, were any of you surprised when they took the ever serious Aki and gave her a valley girl-ish way of talking? Please. If you look to GX later in the series they have their voice actor’s friggan making fun of their own characters. 4kids is run by a man that friggan thinks manga/anime is nothing more than a fad because children are dumb and they don't want to read.
I hate 4kids and forever will, they ruin everything they touch. I watched episode 16 of the 5D's series and then sighed and instantly clicked off when I heard that 4kids, just like in one piece with Robin in where they gave her a southern accent just because she wore a cowboy hat for a period of time.. Gave Gill aka the knight guy a stereotypically bad 'old English' accent with all the 'thou's' and other medieval crap.
I tap my chin, laugh and think that just like GX which was canceled before the actual end of the anime series this too will hopefully be canceled. But oh no, they are now scouring YouTube and whatever to find the subbed episodes and delete them, the ****'s. As long as 4kids is still making anime I am still going to love sub at least when it comes to whatever projects their current ruining. If you need any more examples as to why 4kids blows, I am sure you can find examples all over the web.
Sandy Sagebrush 18:42, 11 March 2009 (UTC)
- I completely agree. They screwed it up so mutch that I've stoped watching it and just watch the subbed version on youtube. They are'nt seriously deleting the subbed version are they? I didn't think that they owned the Japanese version, I thought it belonged to Kazuki Takahashi.
Monarch1 17:14, 12 March 2009 (UTC)
4Kids? ...I'm sorry, who were they again? --Gadjiltron 09:57, June 8, 2010 (UTC)
The 5ds dub is just God awful, let's leave it at that. Adamtheamazing64 17:24, June 8, 2010 (UTC)
At least they actually dubbed it for the people who can't read japanese translations. Fallensilence 09:22, June 15, 2010 (UTC)Fallensilence