|Japanese (base text)||
In the OCG and the TCG Advanced Format, Forbidden (禁止 Kinshi) cards are cards that players are not allowed to use in their Main Deck, Side Deck, or Extra Deck. There are no Forbidden cards in the Traditional Format; by default, all Forbidden cards are Limited in the Traditional Format.
These cards are Forbidden as of January 1, 2016 for the OCG, and November 9, 2015 for the TCG Advanced Format.
|Japanese name||OCG||TCG Advanced|
|Card of Safe Return||生還の宝札||Forbidden||Forbidden|
|Card of Safe Return (anime)||生還の宝札|
|Card of Safe Return (manga)||生還の宝札|
Moved into the list
|Card||Japanese name||Card type||Old status (October 2015)||New status (January 2016)|
|Number 16: Shock Master|| ||Monster Card||1Unlimited||4Forbidden|
|Performage Damage Juggler|| ||Monster Card||1Unlimited||4Forbidden|
|Performage Plushfire|| ||Monster Card||1Unlimited||4Forbidden|
Moved out of the list
There are no changes from the October 2015 Lists.
Moved into the list
|Card||Card type||Old status (July 2015)||New status (November 2015)|
|Apoqliphort Towers||Monster Card||1Unlimited||4Forbidden|
|El Shaddoll Construct||Monster Card||1Unlimited||4Forbidden|
|Evilswarm Exciton Knight||Monster Card||1Unlimited||4Forbidden|
|Shurit, Strategist of the Nekroz||Monster Card||3Limited||4Forbidden|
Moved out of the List
There are no changes from the July 2015 Lists.
During World Championship tournaments, all cards are automatically set to their lowest allowed status in any region. (For example, a card that is on the Semi-Limited list in one region but the Limited list in another will be Limited on the World Championship banlist, and a card that is Forbidden in one region but Unlimited in another will be Forbidden.)
However, in addition to any cards that are Forbidden on either the OCG or TCG lists, several other cards are also made Forbidden:
- Any cards that are not legal in any region, including:
- Any cards that in a given region are only available as tournament prize cards, due to their extremely restricted availability:
- A select few "Special Rule" cards: "Emergency Provisions", "Mystik Wok", "Rainbow Life", "Tri-And-Guess", and "Self-Destruct Button"
- These cards have an undesirable potential to abuse the "sudden death" and time limit rules in official tournaments. The first four cards allow a player in "sudden death" to instantly win by quickly gaining a large number of Life Points during the opponent's turn with a now-irrelevant cost, while the last card allows a player to legally stall by forcing DRAWs until the time limit runs out (see the Tips page of that card for details).
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! episode 75: "Friends 'Til the End, Part 1"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode 19: "The King of the Copycats, Part 2"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! episode 197: "Sinister Secrets, Part 2"