Errata can be made to a card for a variety of reasons, including to fix mistakes, to update a card's terminology, or to clarify the behavior of a card so that its rulings are easier to understand (such as Problem-Solving Card Text). Some errata specifically modify the card's functionality itself, usually as a way to make the card less powerful in order to remove it from the Forbidden list.
Players are not required to own the most recent erratum of a card, but they must always be played according to the latest erratum even if using an older copy of the card. Konami recommends using the most recent printing of a card, because that text is the most accurate.
Some examples of errata are listed below.
- 1 Lore
- 2 Name
- 3 Other
- 4 References
Including or excluding cards for an archetype
This is done when changing the card's name is undesirable, for marketing purposes.
|A fiend with dark powers for confusing the enemy. Among the Fiend-Type monsters, this monster boasts considerable force.||A fiend with dark powers for confusing the enemy. Among the Fiend-Type monsters, this monster boasts considerable force.
|When this card is changed from
||When this card is changed from Position to Position, you can place any number of cards from your hand at the bottom of your Deck in any order you desire.|
Updating a card's flavor text
|A flame manipulator who
||A flame manipulator who Her Burstfire burns away villainy.|
|At the time this card is selected as an attack target by
||At the time this card is selected as an attack target by opponent's monster, can activate Trap Card(s) from hand.|
|Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. be Special Summoned with "Rise of the Snake Deity" . This card gains 500 ATK for each Reptile-Type monster in your Graveyard. This card cannot be targeted and is unaffected by. When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard You can 1 other Reptile-Type monster from your Graveyard Special Summon this card. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent Place 1 Hyper-Venom Counter on it. When 3 Hyper-Venom Counters are on this card, you win the Duel.|
Major mechanical changes
Beginning in March 2014, cards can receive errata that make major mechanical changes to their effects, rather than simply having errors or consistency corrected. The vast majority of these are to cards that are Forbidden at the time of the erratum, weakening the cards enough so that they no longer need to be Forbidden.
|Tribute 1 DARK monster with 1000 or less ATK. Check all monsters on your opponent's side of the field, your opponent's hand,
||Tribute 1 DARK monster with 1000 or less ATK; also you look at your opponent's hand and all monsters they control, and if you do, destroy the monsters among them with 1500 or more ATK, .|
A complete list of cards that have been modified in this way is:
Players with the old text of these cards may still use them; however the rules require notifying the opponent about the erratum (such as by having a printout of the Card Database entry available).
Including or excluding cards for archetypes
Updating the terminology of a card
||[ Card ]|
|Original||First erratum||Second erratum|
|Original||First erratum||Second erratum|
|[ Trap Card ]||[ Trap Card ]||[ Trap Card ]|
- "Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME: RECENT CARD ERRATA LIST". Konami. 5 November 2010. http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/gameplay/errata/101105%20recent%20errata%20list%20-%20x.pdf. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- "Fusion Enforcers is Now Available!". Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME STRATEGY SITE!. 24 February 2017. https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=8159. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- "Updates: F&L Cards List, PGL2 Card Text, Rules for Winning During a Chain". Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME STRATEGY SITE!. 20 March 2015. https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=7038. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- "Duelist Saga: Celebrate 15 Years of Dueling Greatness!". Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME STRATEGY SITE!. 27 March 2017. https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=8164. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- "遊戯王OCG デュエルモンスターズ" (in ja-JP). http://www.yugioh-card.com/japan/notice/revision/. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- "Errata Cards". 4 February 2016. http://www.yugioh-card.com/uk/gameplay/detail.php?id=415. Retrieved 5 December 2017.