All one need to Duel is a Main Deck and an opponent to Duel with. One may also have an Extra Deck, and also a Side Deck in case of a Match. Game Mat and card sleeves can also be used to protect cards. If needed, six-sided die, coins, counters and Tokens should be prepared if usingcards that involve the said items.
To keep track of the game, one may also use pencil/pen and a paper to keep track of LP and other notes, and a calculator to quickly calculate values.
Preparing to Duel
Before starting a Duel, follow these 5 steps.
- Shuffle your Main Deck with all its cards face-down.
- You may then shuffle and cut your opponent's Deck (be careful when touching your opponent’s cards).
- After shuffling, place the Decks face-down in Deck Zones.
- If using an Extra Deck, place it in the Extra Deck Zone with all its cards face-down.
- If you are playing a Match, Duelists show each other their Side Decks if they have them without revealing the cards, and record the number of cards in it, also confirming that they have 15 or fewer cards.
- If you exchange cards between the Side and Main/Extra Decks, count the cards of your Side Deck for your opponent again to show that the number of your cards remain the same.
- Use a random method to choose a player who will chose who to go first.
- Duelists may roll a die, play rock-paper-scissors, or other methods as long as it is agreed upon and clearly understood by all Duelists beforehand.
- The Duelist chosen by the random method chooses who goes first.
- For subsequent Duels in a Match, the losing Duelist of the previous game chooses who goes first.
- In case of a Duel ending in a DRAW, another random method should be employed to choose the deciding Duelist.
- After deciding who go first, both Duelists draw five cards from their Main Deck to form their starting hands.
- If the deciding Duelist does not announce his or her choice of who will go first prior to drawing cards, they must automatically go first.
With these five steps taken, a Duel commences.
- ↑ Sometimes explanatorily spelt
決闘in the manga.