- The effect to inflict damage targets 1 face-up monster. The damage inflicted is equal to the amount of ATK lost by the target monster.
- If Reverse Trap is activated, the ATK of Black-Winged Dragon will increase for each Black Feather Counter on it and an opponent’s monster targeted by the effect will have its ATK increased. No damage will be inflicted in that case.
- Black-Winged Dragon and Black-Winged Strafe are not "Blackwing" cards. You cannot use Blackwing - Breeze the Zephyr as a Fusion Material Monster [sic].[Notes 1]
- If you would be dealt effect damage by Gravekeeper's Vassal while you control Black-Winged Dragon you place the Black Feather Counter during Damage Calculation and the damage is reduced to 0.
- If you control Black-Winged Dragon and Prime Material Dragon and an effect that would inflict damage to you is activated, you will gain Life Points instead and no Black Feather Counters will be placed.
- If multiple Ojama Tokens are destroyed at the same time, you’ll place a Black Feather Counter for each of them.
- You can still activate Against The Wind [sic] while you control Black-Winged Dragon, but you’ll place a Black Feather Counter instead of taking damage and you won’t add a "Blackwing" monster to your hand.[Notes 2]
- You cannot target a monster with 0 ATK with Black-Winged Dragon’s effect because that monster’s ATK cannot be reduced.
- If you control more than 1 Black-Winged Dragon you’ll only place 1 Black Feather Counter on 1 Black-Winged Dragon when you would take damage.
- If Skill Drain is activated while Black-Winged Dragon has Black Feather Counters, all those Counters are removed and the ATK of Black-Winged Dragon returns to its original value.
- If the monster targeted with the ATK reducing effect of Black-Winged Dragon is no longer face-up on the opponent’s side of the field when the effect resolves then the effect is not applied.
- The "damage equal to the ATK lost" is equal to the actual amount lost by the target monster. If a monster with 1900 ATK has its ATK reduced to 0, the damage is 1900, even if 3 or more Black Feather Counters were removed.
Mentions in Other Rulings
- Removing all Black Feather Counters from "Black-Winged Dragon" is a cost to activate its effect which reduces ATK and inflicts damage.
- The effect of "Black-Winged Dragon" which reduces ATK and inflicts damage targets one monster which is face-up on the opponent's side of the field.
- 「黒羽カウンター」 ("Black Feather Counter") is read as くろはねカウンター ("Kurohane Counter").
- If you would receive damage from a card effect while your "Black-Winged Dragon" has 0 ATK, then you still place a Black Feather Counter on "Black-Winged Dragon".
- For the effect of "Black-Winged Dragon" which is activated by removing all Black Feather Counters, the damage inflicted is equal to the amount of ATK that the opponent's monster lost.
- Example: "Black-Winged Dragon" has three Black Feather Counters, and your opponent has a monster with 2000 ATK. You can activate that effect of "Black-Winged Dragon" and target that monster. In this case, the effect of "Black-Winged Dragon" will inflict 2000 damage (the same as the amount of ATK that the monster lost).
- Cards like "Black-Winged Dragon" and "Black-Winged Strafe" are not treated as "Blackwing" cards. Thus, you cannot use the effect of "Blackwing - Vayu the Emblem of Honor" to Special Summon "Black-Winged Dragon", and you cannot Synchro Summon "Black-Winged Dragon" by using "Blackwing - Breeze the Zephyr" as a Synchro Material.
- While "Black-Winged Dragon" is on the field, if you activate "Against the Wind", then when resolving the effect you instead place one Black Feather Counter on "Black-Winged Dragon". You did not receive damage from the effect of "Against the Wind" equal to the "Blackwing" monster's ATK, so you cannot add that "Blackwing" monster to your hand.
- ↑ It should say "as a Synchro Material Monster for "Black-Winged Dragon"" instead.
- ↑ The actual card name is "Against the Wind".
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 Konami Gameplay FAQ: The Shining Darkness Sneak Peek -- Card Rulings (Version 1.0)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Konami FAQ: Effect Monster > Black-Winged Dragon
- ↑ Konami FAQ: If the ATK of "Black-Winged Dragon" is 0, then do you place a Black Feather Counter on it if you would take damage?
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Konami FAQ: Can you activate the effect of "Black-Winged Dragon" and target a monster with less ATK than the amount by which the ATK will decrease?
- ↑ Konami FAQ: Are cards like "Black-Winged Dragon" treated as "Blackwing" cards?
- ↑ Konami FAQ: What happens if you activate "Against the Wind" while "Black-Winged Dragon" is on the field?
*Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Fandom will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.