Beta Format, also referred to as Special Format in early descriptions, is a format that was used at some Win-A-Mat events. Introduced at YCS Chicago (April 10-12, 2015), it incorporates the Advanced Format with additional restrictions on Summons. As of January 24, 2016 (at the latest), it is no longer being used at big events due to lack of interest. This format makes a comeback in the 2017 WCQ: European Championship.
Duelists Dueling under this format are each restricted to a maximum of 3 Summons per turn, with a maximum of 1 Summon from each of the following options per turn (while following the normal rules regarding Summons):
- A Normal Summon/Set
- A Summon from the Extra Deck (e.g. Fusion/Synchro/Xyz Summons, Special Summons by the effects of cards such as "Mask Change", "Bahamut Shark", etc.)
- A Special Summon from a place other than the Extra Deck (e.g. Special Summons from the hands, Main Decks, Spell & Trap Zones)
Since Pendulum Summons are capable of Summoning monsters from the hand or the Extra Deck, they use up 2 of the allowed Summon options per turn (leaving only the Normal Summon/Set option). This applies even if the monsters that are Pendulum Summoned only come from the hand, or only from the Extra Deck.
If card effects are applied that impose restrictions on Summoning, such as "Summon Limit" or "Vanity's Emptiness", they are applied to the restricted Summons this format enforces. Flip Summons and card effects that return/place monsters on the field without Summoning, such as "Evilswarm Thunderbird" and "Wind-Up Rabbit", are unaffected by these restrictions. Even if a player gains an extra Normal Summon/Set through the use of a card effect, they still cannot Normal Summon/Set more than once per turn.
- Konami Digital Entertainment (13 March 2015). "Rules for the Special Format Win-A-Mat Public Event". Konami. https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=7017. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Julia Hedberg (24 January 2016). "We stopped offering it due to lack of interest.". https://www.facebook.com/groups/248499755248/permalink/10156544625125249/. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Konami Digital Entertainment. "2017 WCQ: European Championship – Public Event Schedule". Konami. http://www.yugioh-card.com/ygo_cms/ygo/all/uploads/2017-WCQ-EC-Public-Event-Schedule.pdf.
- "Yu-Gi-Oh! Championship Series: Chicago, IL – FAQ". Konami. http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/events/2015/YCS_Chicago.html. Retrieved 27 February 2016.