The Attribute Spirits are a group of monsters with "Spirit" 「精霊」 in their name; however, they are not Spirit monsters. They each belong to one of the elemental Attributes of the game: DARK, EARTH, FIRE, LIGHT, WATER, and WIND. Being Special Summon-only monsters, their conditions for being Special Summoned are that you must banish one of your monsters in your Graveyard with the same Attribute. There is another set of monsters with similar effects and conditions, but these do not include "Spirit" in their name, and some require you to remove two monsters of the proper Attribute instead of one. In the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime, these cards were part of Lyman Banner/Amnael's Alchemy Deck, used as part of the cost for "Elemental Absorber".
Their Japanese names share a naming pattern (Element "Spirit", Name) as follows:
|Aqua Spirit||水の精霊 アクエリア||Water Spirit, Aquaria||Aquarius|
|Diana the Light Spirit||光の精霊 ディアーナ||Light Spirit, Diana||Diana|
|Garuda the Wind Spirit||風の精霊 ガルーダ||Wind Spirit, Garuda||Garuda|
|Luna the Dark Spirit||闇の精霊 ルーナ||Dark Spirit, Luna||Luna|
|The Rock Spirit||岩の精霊 タイタン||Rock Spirit, Titan||Titan|
|Spirit of Flames||炎の精霊 イフリート||Flame Spirit, Ifrit||Ifrit|
Effects and stats
- The ATK of "The Rock Spirit" increases by 300 during its opponent's Battle Phase.
- The ATK of "Spirit of Flames" increases by 300 during its controller's Battle Phase.
- "Garuda the Wind Spirit" can change the battle position of 1 face-up opponent's Monster Card monster during the opponent's End Phase.
- "Aqua Spirit" can change the battle position of 1 face-up opponent's monster during the opponent's Standby Phase.
Monsters with opposite Attributes have effects with opposite purposes too:
- "Garuda the Wind Spirit" has a defensive effect, while "The Rock Spirit" has an offensive effect.
- "Aqua Spirit" has a defensive purpose while "Spirit of Flames" has an offensive effect.
"Diana the Light Spirit" has her own unique effect, where you gain 1,000 life points but during your opponent’s end phase, similar to the aforementioned monsters "Garuda" and "Aqua". She also has the same ATK and DEF stats as "Rock" and "Flames".
While "Luna the Dark Spirit" has her own unique effect, where it inflicts 500 damage to the opponent during your standby phase. She also has the same ATK and DEF stats as "Aqua" and "Garuda".
- You can use them as Tribute Fodder for the Tribute Summon of monsters of Level 5 or higher such as Monarchs. Furthermore, these monsters make it easier to activate effects that require multiple monsters as Tribute, such as the effects of "Gilford the Lightning", "Moisture Creature", and "Beast King Barbaros".
- Tribute Summoning is not the only way to get strong monsters. Since these Monsters are Special Summoned you can Normal Summon any Tuner monster to Synchro Summon a Synchro Monster and get a strong monster in a single turn.
- "The Rock Spirit", "Gigantes", and the related "Gigastone Omega" can be used to raise the DEF of "Lost Guardian" or for their momentum-killing effects. They are also highly compatible with "Release from Stone."
- You can Special Summon 2 of these (or 1 Attribute Spirit + 1 Level 4 Monster) to Xyz Summon a powerful Rank 4 Xyz Monster like "Steelswarm Roach" or "Number 39: Utopia", or Special Summon 1 Attribute Spirit and "Feedback Warrior" to Xyz Summon a Level 3 Xyz Monster like "Number 17: Leviathan Dragon", "Leviair the Sea Dragon" or "Wind-Up Zenmaines".
- Since “Diana the Light Spirit” is a LIGHT monster, she has great synergy with the “Lightsworn” archetype, and since the cards are all about milling from the deck, you’ll almost always be able to summon her. Being Thunder type means she can also be used in a “Thunder Dragon” Deck.